Saturday, October 4, 2008

Out of Surgery

Gretchen is healing, and welcomes visitors. She let me add this post since she is unable to use her arms at this time. The surgery went well. However a tumor was found in the lymph nodes. Further treatment is to be determined including possible chemotherapy and radiation. She will meet with her oncologist in one week.

Gretchen’s positive attitude is reflective of her deep faith in Christ in whose hands she has placed herself. I was surprised to discover that Gretchen loves visitors, even this close to the surgery. She has a little Bluetooth earpiece, and can accept your calls if whomever is in the room can press the “call accept” button. She says not to worry about waking her, as her caregivers (her Dad when I was there) are taking the calls if she’s sleeping.
She is grateful for all of our prayers, and says our faith is making a difference.
She is scheduled to go home to Alpine tomorrow, but she will miss the super galactic chair/bed that she’s presently enjoying, helping with the effort to get out of bed.

Knowing that everyone wants to know what they can do, I offered a bunch of possibilities, of which she welcomed any and all. A few ideas: Foot rubs, manicures, pedicures, (especially with nail decals. If anyone can find a breast cancer decal, that would rock!) CD music, books on CD, reading books to her; but more than anything, just the connection and support of friends.
You might also be interested to know that she has no dietary restrictions. But she is focused on eating healthily, and wants to learn about a diet that is most supportive of healing cancer.

Gretchen asked me to remind all of us women to get a mammogram. One in eight women get breast cancer; and the highest percentage come to those without a family history of breast cancer.

I know I speak for all in that we love you Gretchen and are pouring out our hearts and faith for you.

9 comments:

Mary said...

Gretchie -
You continue to amaze and inspire me. You know I think the world of you and you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers every moment. So many of us miss seeing you every day but we know you'll be back soon. Another trip to the cabin may be the answer. :)
Love you lots!
Mary & Doug

Anonymous said...

Hello my Dear, Dear Friend!

You are continuously in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I lived closer so that I could help you out during your healing.
Know that I miss and love you and that everything will be ok!
Love you tons!
Kym

Janece said...

Many of the talks today in conference made us think of you. Elder Wirthlin's talk especially touched my heart. He said that "we suffer hard things that we too may have compassion, as did our Savior." You have always showed such compassion and love to all. No judgements, no boundaries, just love. Again, you are in a foreign land, but sharing your warmth with all those around you. Always you are in our prayers and our thoughts. Any need you have, we are a phone call away. No matter, what!! Tyler and Janece

Barb said...

mDearest Gretchen,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. If you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'm praying for you. We've added you to our prayer list at church also. I'll call you in a few days. Love to you, Barb

Janilynn said...

Dear Gretchen,

You have been in my thoughts and prayers constantly. I was so happy to talk to you Dad and know that you were out of surgery and a step on the road to recoverery. You have been a great example to me.
Keep smiling.
Love,
Sharon Juber

Matthew said...

Gretchen. Thinking of you a lot! Continue with your positive thoughts. You are a tremendous fighter!

Miss you dearly!!

MaHa

SeHo said...

Continue the healing. We miss your positive energy around the office.

Seth

Miriam Latour said...

Gretchy,

I am sorry you are going through all this. It sucks. This is truly an example of how bad things can happen to wonderful people, and I'm just sorry that the wonderful person is you this time.

You have always lifted up other people when they suffer. You have always been compassionate. Frankly, you don't need to experience any of this to be a better person, because you are already a great person, but senseless things happen to beautiful people, because people are ... people.

Tho' you are a strong individual there is no need to feel that you have to be the strongest one this time. It's your turn to rest and let others take care of you. You've done this in the past for us. Let me know what you need me to do to help. I wash cars. I know how to load iPods. I take photos. I have lots of DVDs. I do a few useful things. Let me know.

Love you,
Miriam

Nainoa said...

Aloha Sis,
Fasting for no Metastatis, No problem. We are on it. I will let my family know too. I love you so much and can't thank you enough for your amazing example. I have been reading and thinking about Philipians and how Paul, in the midst of all his hell could still talk of rejoicing. It is a powerful testimony to see that in the many things you take on. I hope that doesn't make you feel responsible to always be that rock, by the way. Feel free to kick a wall or two and drop a cuss word, or feel down. I am just saying you are strong and your faith is an inspiration.
Plastic surgery huh? That's cool. My vote is for 600cc's. Nothing would help a gorgeous 6ft women stand out more!