Tuesday, October 28, 2008

2nd Surgery is a GO

Hi all,
I just had a very good discussion/visit with my radiation oncologist, Dr. Gaffney, and after talking with him, have made the decision to go ahead with the second excision on Monday, Nov. 3rd. After reciting statistics and studies about the efficacy of doing a second surgery when the surgeon knows exactly where to target the surgery, in addition to my young age and positive margins, it only makes sense to do everything possible to make sure that we get every cancer cell out.

The program will be as follows:
1) Nov 3rd, second excision
2) Chemotherapy which will take approx 24 weeks to complete (though this could change as I haven't yet met with Dr. Buys, who will be my medical oncologist.) I hope to start this approx. 3 weeks post-op.
3) Begin/Continue expansion via the tissue expanders throughout Chemo treatment.
4) After expansion is complete, radiation therapy for 5 weeks, every day. M-F for 10 mins each day.
5) Reconstruction surgeries....

So, though this isn't my favorite news to share, I think it is the wisest choice to make given that my goal is to live another 50 years at least---without seeing another cancer cell ever :)

As for the family fast, if you would like to participate, we will hold it on this coming Sunday, Nov 2. As I have already made the decision to go ahead with the surgery, the purpose will be focused on a successful surgery and quick recovery.

Continued thanks for all your support and love, your strength is my strength. Love, gf

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Gretchen,
I have been reading your blog for while. You and your family have a wealth of strength.

I know your days are probably hard or harder, with not many good days right now but wanted to let you know that you are getting some positive Texas thoughts(the strongest kind being from Texas. :) )

Hope next week goes well.
Sincerely,
Greg Estep

John Edmondosn said...

Hi Gretchen,
Phoenix, AZ thoughts and prayers are with you, while not as strong (in odor :o) as Texan, certainly as strong in many other ways.

Know that we are supporting you with our prayers.

John, Jana, Allie, Anna & Bear

Kiwimommy said...

You are an inspiration, Gretchen. You have been since we were children. What big decisions you've faced in a very short amount of time. Continued prayers and love coming your way!

Miriam Latour said...

Hey Gretch! You're a tuff chick and I know you'll do fine with surgery, chemo, and radiation... but I'm sorry you have to go through it all.

Dave wants to shave his head and I'm still planning to chop off all my long hair when you get to the point of shaving (if you do). Thing is... at least three other of my friends say they are willing to shave their heads too. In fact, I am trying to get people to sponsor our hair-chopping so we can donate the money to cancer research.

Just thought I'd let you know what is up. This is the same group that did Relay for Life last year. Instead of walking all night this time, we are going to "Off the Coiffe" for cancer.

EFFIN CANCER!

xo
Mir

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Gretchen! You have a great plan of attack laid out. I admire your courage in facing this thing head on and fighting with all you have. You are an inspiration to me. My thoughts and prayers are with you!