Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday Ayem

Our patient is making slow but sure progress . . .

Friday night good buddy Aaron came and we followed our weekly tradition of soup and the Amazing Race. We four have been big fans for the past several seasons. We just record the show and watch it during the week when Aaron is available. (Any fans out there? Do you like siblings Nick and Starr this season?)

Unfortunately, Saturday was a down day for the Gretch. In bed all day, not even rising to shower. She did venture forth to the back yard where Alan was planting a new batch of perrenials to say hello and cheer him on, however.

But yesterday!

Gretchen was determined to attend church, so I got her dressed and off we went to her own church in Draper, twenty minutes away, rather than ours, just down the street. She felt at home there, but she lasted only about 45 minutes. So we came home and she had a nice long nap.

Last evening brought a very special event: Friends Matt and Summer Beecher came and brought supper! Yum! If I can get their recipe for Harvest Stew with Dumplings, I'll post it here. It was absolutely fabulous, topped off with their pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips. Even MORE fabulous, however, was the caring and beautiful spirit they brought into our home. I almost tied them to the sofa -- so reluctant were we to let them out the door when the time came.

Gretchen is using her left arm for many things. She can now raise it to shoulder level. She's surprised to find herself a fairly good "south paw" and eats left-handed. She can't shower and dress herself yet, but she gets herself to a rising position on her own about half the time.

Her right arm -- a lot of the tissue from the armpit gone and still healing -- is still pretty much glued to her side.

Her beautiful hair is strictly at our mercy. (Alan blow-dried it once when we were in a pinch for time -- hilarious "do" that day!) I never complain about her very particular way of drying and styling it -- all those products to keep it shiny and wavy! The last time I styled my daughter's hair it was in puppy-tails at the age of three. I know it won't be long before it's all gone. But only for a season . . .

Has she told you what her plans are when/if her hair begins to fall out? After the first strand lets go, it's off to the barber to shave her head. And no wigs, she tells me! She plans to go "au natural" except for scarves and hats to keep her head warm. She may get lucky and receive the kind of chemo that lets her keep her hair. Stay tuned . . . you'll be the first to know!

We're off to her surgeon this afternoon for her first check-up. I'll let you know what he has to say.

Meanwhile, please know we're feeling your prayers and good thoughts. This very special young woman always has a serene smile on her face and good and positive things to say to us and about others. (No different than she's always been!)

Love and much gratitude to you all,
Linda the Mom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gretchen! It's Charla, from work. I love reading your blog. You are so brave to share this journey with us! I get a lot of inspiration from you and am amazed that you are able to stay so positive! Thank you for being such a great example, even in your darkest hour. Not many people can do that. My thoughts and prayers are with you. We miss you here at Navitaire!

Love,
Charla :)

Kiwimommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kiwimommy said...

Hi Gretchen and Linda,
I just stumbled on to this blog, and I burst into tears when I realized that 1)I had found Gretchen and 2)She was coming through the breast cancer tunnel. I find it quite profound that my day (full of memories, conversations and pics from Hillcrest Elementary) led to this blog!
I have wonderful memories of both you and your mom, Gretchen - especially the wall hanging in your Orem apartment which read, "Tall is Beautiful"! I think the last time I saw you was briefly when you worked in the Richards Bldg at BYU, down the hall from Cathy's office.
I will be following this blog with great interest, and will add my prayers to the many in your behalf. I wish you a quick and full recovery, Gretchen. Meanwhile, here are a couple of links to pics of you from Hillcrest Elementary!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1051506&l=b0805&id=693601308
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1051507&l=0b34e&id=693601308
All the best,
Marie-Adele (Black) McArthur

Miriam Latour said...

See, Gretchy?! Your photos are on Facebook, so now you need a facebook profile. That way me and Celeste and your old school friends can link your profile to your beautiful photos and we can all have a jolly good time.

Best of luck with news on Thursday!