Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Countdown

Those of you who are viewing this are mostly likely aware of my recent breast cancer diagnosis; I have been diagnosed with two different types, Invasive Lobular Carcinoma and Ductile In-Situ Carcinoma.

While a tumor was found only on the right side, I am electing surgery for both sides, as my particular type is often found bilaterally, and I have decided to be aggressive in preventing this from recurring. Surgery is scheduled for this Friday, Oct 3rd at the University of Utah/Huntsman Cancer Center. I will have two surgeons initally, Dr. Ed Nelson, general surgeon and Dr. Ray Agarwal, plastic surgeon. I will go in early and start with a nuclear med dye to be used during surgery to determine lymph node involvement, and then wait a few hours while it drains into my lymph system. I will then be taken into surgery in the early afternoon. During surgery, they will test lymph nodes and will be able to determine stage and grade of the cancer. This information will determine what type of treatment I will need to go through post surgery, radiation and/or chemo. Following surgery i will be in the hospital for two days, with a release on either Sunday or Monday. I will then continue recuperating at my mom's house in Cedar Hills.

As the day draws neigh, I find myself more and more sober about possible outcomes, but though it is scary and sad I continue to feel peaceful to my core. I have received so many wonderful calls, emails, cards, flowers, and plants from so many dear and loved ones. Prayers, fasting and temple attendence in my behalf have occured, and all of these efforts have made a wonderful difference in how I and others in my family have felt...truly prayer is powerful and such a kinetic force, it preserves me and lifts my spirits from day to day and hour to hour. I expect it to continue to do so in the coming days and months.

I love to hear from you and will update this blog as I get more info. For those of you who have enquired, following are my address and my mom's as well as our phone numbers. My apologies to those to whom I may have given a bad address for my mom, the correct one follows:

Linda and Alan Petersen
4119 W. Sandalwood Dr
Cedar Hills, UT 84062
801-796-7525

Gretchen Fegel
14914 Ox Cart Lane
Draper, UT 84020
214-893-3435

Love to you all, and eternal thanks for your love, concern and prayers. gf

14 comments:

Janece said...

Our thoughts and prayers will follow you on this journey.
Henry David Thoreau--
"However mean your life is, meet it and live it, do not shun it, and call it hard names. It is not bad....it looks poorest when you are the richest. The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may have perhaps some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poor house."

Anonymous said...

Gretchen,
My thoughts and wishes for full recovery are with you now. I am already holding a vision of you as fully recovered with your beautiful smile and chasing me around the Navitaire parking lot on your scooter!
Love and Hugs,
Gene Bathe

michele said...

Gretch - I really miss you at the office and our lunches! Be brave, strong, and courageous, your friends are here for you if you need anything. Let me know if you need anything, smuggled pizza and ice cream, smacking andy around :), anything! We love you!!

slpatterson said...

We will see you back here soon (after all, those FRDs don't write themselves)!

--And somebody needs to keep this team out of the red zone. I can't do it on my own :)

I appreciate your strength and convictions.

Steve Patterson

Miriam Latour said...

Hey Gretchen!

We will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping for the best. Peace, comfort and healing to you!

-- Mir & Family

Andrea said...

You are in our prayers daily and we are sending you positive energy all of the time. We know you will get through this hard time as you are a strong person. Lilly can't wait to meet you. Please let us know if we can do anything at all (I will be off work until Dec. 1).

With much love and respect,
Andrea, Jill, and Baby Lilly

SeHo said...

Your positive attitude is an inspiration. Your grace and recovery is on my mind in my heart.

Seth

Karen Armstrong said...

Dear Gretchen,
Here I am, a long lost voice from Dallas. My prayers and thoughts are with you for a full recovery and a beautiful vivacious life ahead. You are truly amazing and an example of joy and courage pressing forward.
Much love to you,
Karen Armstrong

Monica M said...

The Marcheschi family is praying for you. We have a friend of a friend that is fighting. Here is her blog. www.paigeandjosh.blogspot.com

Lynda said...

We love you Gretchen! You are wonderful and you are in our prayers. We wish we were closer to come visit you. Brandon is getting big and would be a great distraction. Hang in there, so many people are praying and thinking of you....that tells a lot about how amazing you are!

rex.howard said...

Hi Gretchen!
I am so glad to hear that the surgery is over and you're doing well. The Howard Family continues to pray for your complete recovery. We still have the set of Rodgers and Hammerstein videos as well as many other old musicals. Just say the word and I will get them to you for your enjoyment! Lots of love, Rex, Janet and Jackson!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gretchen, I only heard of your health challenge yesterday and was so stunned to hear the news. Gretchen, you are one of those amazing people that consistently radiates a positive energy every day. For those of us Navitairians who work with you - - you fit in with our teams from day one! I'm sure you now realize that to work at Navitaire, it's best if you're dedicated - - but our employees are required to be crazy and fun too! We're so glad you are one of us. Hang in there with the challenges you are facing - - I'm certain that your great attitude and faith will get you through. Cancer seems to touch us all - - if not ourselves - - through loved ones and friends. The really good news is that the medical commuity is making great strides in fighting breast cancer; and in the last five years, we've seen the vast majority of women become survivors and lead active and heathy lives. That will be YOU, I just know it! Please let me know if there is anything we can do for you - - everyone misses you greatly and we are sending prayers and positive thoughts your way! Hang in there - - we're behind you every step of the way!

And by the way, our infamous chili cook-off is coming up on Halloween - - I expect you to be there!!!

Cathi Davis
Fellow Navitairian :)

Anto said...

Hi Gretchen,
All of us here at Ryanair wish you a speedy recovery and you are in all our prayers. You are the nicest person and clamest person we have every met.
Love and Wishes
Antoinette, Frances, Adam, Paul and all that worked on Newskies xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sweetpea said...

Oh Gretchen, I had no idea since we moved from the ward. My thoughts and prayers area with you. I have always admired and respected you, and I am impressed with your uplifting attitude through your trials.
With Love,
Annie Kuntz