Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Musings of a Sunday...

posted on a Tuesday.

One of the good things about going through major challenges, those which you know you cannot possibly face or complete or even contemplate on your own, is the immediate marshalling of force by loved ones and dear ones in your behalf. It really is amazing. I have been so fortunate to know and associate with wonderful folks from so many different walks of life who embrace and espouse various religions, beliefs and lifestyles. I love the variety! It has been delightful to be the recipient of everyone's unique methods of service and love. It reminds me of a concept recently talked about by Dieter Uchtdorf in an address of the October LDS conference.

He related the story of a time when he and others were trying to move a heavy piano from one room to another, and how they tried various methods, all of which failed until someone suggested that they all stand close together around the piano and then lift where they stood. By doing this, they were able to use their combined strength to successfully move the piano. While this story has many applications, I immediatly thought of my own situation. I feel like my burden of cancer and its attending fears, woes and pains is like the heavy piano which needs to be lifted and moved. It is a burden of such magnitude, one which I would never be able to lift alone, let alone with only a couple of helpers.

It really is a miracle that I have had you, dear family and friends who have stepped up with willing hands and hearts to help lift my burden. You have done so in such unique ways, reflecting your own unique talents. You have called, brought lunch, sent flowers, organized a shave your head campaign to raise cancer research money, visited, leant a blue tooth, provided dinner, sent cards, made a halloween costume and a lovely blanket, delivered apples, offered blessings, gifted books, organized a weekend getaway on a lovely ranch, fasted, sent good thoughts, made me laugh, brought thoughtful gifts and prayed. Truly, you have all lifted where you stand, and your strength has "moved" my burden. Without you I would certainly despair and remain "unmoved".

While the journey ahead still looms long, I know that with the support you have given me and that which you have already pledged to give in the days ahead, I know that all will be well. So much thanks to each of you who have so willingly lifted where you stand. Love, Gretchen.

No comments: