Friday, November 21, 2008

Chemo Update

Hello Dear Ones!

Yesterday my mom and I were at Huntsman from 10:30 to 3:30...getting the low-down on all things chemo. The appointment included meeting a myriad of new people, including a social worker with a funny laugh, kind nurses, and Dr. Buys--who is wonderful. She sat down with us and went through a breast cancer 101 worksheet and drew diagrams, and explained all the reasons why chemo is a good idea for me...the two biggest factors are the size of my tumor, (anything over 5cm, and mine was 6cm) and the fact that it was found in 2 lymph nodes. She was very thorough and answered all questions. During teary moments she even gave us hugs :)

Before I start, she ordered a CT scan from neck to knees to see if there are any mets. She also ordered a MUGA test which will test the health of my heart's ability to pump well, as chemo can negatively affect that. These two tests will happen next Monday, the 24th, along with a port placement under my skin under my clavicle for easy access for chemo. Dr. Nelson, my surgeon will also do that...it is a proceedure which takes no longer than 30 mins and while they don't put me completely out, they give me local and amnesia drugs...i love the idea of forgetting I was ever surgerized!

Then, Tuesday, Dec. 2nd will be my first chemo treatment. I will be given 3 drugs, the first two administered together, Cytoxan and Adriamycin, 4 total doses administered every other week. These two drugs will cause me to loose my hair after the second treatment. This will be followed by 4 more doses, administered every other week of Taxol. After each of the 8 treatments, I go back the following day for a dose of Nulasta, which will help keep my white blood cells in check, and hopfully prevent any infection. She said that often times this drug causes deep bone aches.

She also offered me the opportunity to participate in a study, which would give me more drugs, alongside of the chemo that they think will add to the chances of avoiding a recurrance. As she mentioned one of the possible side affects (the jaw bone can get infected if a tooth is pulled, or there is big dental work...it just doesn't heal) I asked if it could possibly affect other bone healing processes, as I still have the big foot/ankle surgery ahead with bone and cartiledge grafts. She wasn't sure and will check with the ortho guys to see...so I may or may not participate in that study.

After the 8 weeks of chemo, then comes the 5 weeks of radiation...by my calculations I should be done with the treatments by mid-April. Then I will do 5 years of Tamoxifen (a pill you take every day), as I am ER+, PR+ and Her2-...all of which make it possible to take this estrogen binding drug, which is the best combination to have :)

I also got my first "fill-up" at the expander pump station, 60ccs of saline, which though not painful, is certainly noticeable. My nurse said that she took someone from an A to a DD size...that's not for me, but my, what a little saline can do.

Finally, at the end of day, the nurse took us into the treatment room and walked us through the process of checking in, and then we toured the room. I think after a long day of information gathering and processing, this was the most sobering of moments...the reality hit that this is really going to happen.

One last note...I attended a genetics counseling workshop on Tuesday, and decided to have the test done to see if I have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, which based on the fact that one cousin on my dad's side had breast cancer at a young age, makes it feasible that I have the gene. If they do find that I have it, then my dad should get tested next, as it could have significant impact on my two half-sisters as well. It would also put me at a significantly high risk for ovarian cancer. It will take 6 weeks to get that report back.

I never anticipated entering the world of cancer, but I guess no one really does. However, I am constantly amazed and impressed and grateful that there are so many skilled, caring and empathetic professionals with whom I am associating. I am also grateful to be in SLC, close to my angel mother who is willing to give up her days spent in appointments and care and who also sheds tears along with me. Continued thanks to all of you for your support, I couldn't do it without you! Love, gf

4 comments:

SeHo said...

Sending you all the love and support and good vibes I can muster for your ongoing journey :)

Cheryl said...

I went to an accupuncture physician a few years back, for an insignificant condition. Although some of his treatments seemed a bit "out there" for me; one in particular made me laugh. In his very clear Chinese accent, he would clap his hands 3 times, then held them over my body and said, "I give-a you my energy!" So, Gretchen, I hope you smile, when I tell you that "I give-a you my energy!!"

Anonymous said...

Good Luck, Gretch! Your mom isn't the only one shedding tears with you. As always, I'm impressed by your courage and openness and willingness to share your journey with us--some of whom started out as little more than strangers but will become something more than friends. My prayers (and sometimes tears) are with you. :)

ReneK said...

Gretchen, you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. Your bravery and attitude are an inspiration. -- Rene'