Friday, November 7, 2008

Challenging Week for "Super Gretch"

Dearest Friends and Fam;

While we knew this second surgery would be easier than the original, of course there are bumps along this road as well.

For instance:

Our patient spent an agonizing day-after with a horrific headache from the big-gun drug -- oxycodone. We keep asking each other -- "Why on EARTH would anyone pay BIG MONEY on the streets for such misery??" To Gretchen, back on the big-gun = horrible headache = time to stop taking them. She tried to back off gradually, but the head pain was still there, so now they're a no-no.

So now it's OTC ibuprofen for our patient for pain -- but unfortunately ibuprofen doesn't cover it. For some odd reason she has left "Frisbee" pain -- coming off the sternum(cancer was on the right). Also back pain from being in bed so much, stomach pain from who-knows-what and just general misery.

Our lovely fall finally turned into winter with that wonderful snow storm Wednesday. I played Christmas music all day and we drank Pero and stayed warm inside. Yesterday, Gretchen got cabin fever and ventured out with her new baby sister, black fuzzy little Polly -- br-r-r-r-r to all of us. With no fat on her (Gretchen's) chest, even tho she was bundled up, she began to shiver. The shivering causes her muscles to spasm and that equals great pain. So back inside we went.

She has a drain coming from this incision and I empty it regularly, but there isn't much fluid there -- unlike last time.

Overall, this week-after is quite an improvement from the first week-after a month ago, but still not fun.

Your continued care and concern is what keeps her going. That and audio-books. She received a box of great ones yesterday from her buddy Dayle in Dallas and can hardly wait to dig in and listen up. TV doesn't hold much interest for her, even tho we record everything we like in order to FF thru the commercials. Must be that trip down the stairs to our new TV room. Occasional movies are fun, however. Last night it was "Rush Hour III" Silly stuff -- I fell asleep but the others made it thru.

And, oh. That famous smile of Gretchen's you all know? It never ceases . . . even while she's wincing in pain. Personally, I find it difficult to wince and smile at the same time. I should snap a picture next time -- sorta contorts her face in an odd way, but she manages it nevertheless . . . poor girl.

(BTW, you folks give me far too much credit for her well-being. You see, it is I who gets the up-lift and inspiration from my patient, not the other way around . . . )

Lovingly,
Lindy-Lou the Mom

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep it up, Gretchen!! I know about the craziness and sickness that comes with taking the big-gun type medications. It's like a necessary evil. I'll pray that the pain subsides and that the medicine you are able to take will work extra to take care of the pain. The comforting thing is that you made it through last time, so you know you'll make it through this time. Still sucks when you're in the middle of it though... :)

Anna B. said...

Oh Gretchen! I wish I had known. I just read this entire blog to get caught up on what is going on and I smiled and cried at the things you are having to go through. After knowing what you went through with the abdominal surgery so many years ago...and to go through cancer. You are and always will be my hero. You have always inspired me in so many ways. I wish I were there to serve you.

Hang in there and know that you are loved, as it is clearly evident with all the followers of this blog and the many, many more that are a part of your life in some way or another.

I love you and miss you!
Anna