Tuesday, December 16, 2008

...Gone Tomorrow

Last night the hair came off! It was good timing too, as just that morning I had a clump of hair come out as I was combing conditioner through. It was the first time that that had happened. Carri, Mollee and Dave, Cindy, Aaron and my mom and Alan all joined me for the big event. We started by Mollee and Carri putting a lot of little pony tails in my hair, and then we all took turns cutting them off with my mother collecting them strait so we could assemble them in a big pony tail to send off to Locks of Love. Then Carri cut the remaining hair shorter and Mollee then used the clippers to get it shorter still, and then Carrie finished it off with a razor and soap. Some parts are smoother than others, but in the end, we got it all off. I was surprised that I wasn't in tears, but with such loving friends and family around, it turned out to be alright. I forgot about a scar I have on the top of my head from a fall when I was six...I had to get five stitches, and it stands out clear as a bell on the smooth top. It was a lovely evening, a great end to a wonderful day...












It was my first day back to work, and I was overwhelmed by the amazing welcome I received from my dear friends there. I was greeted by men who had shaved their heads in solidarity, a lovely pink Christmas tree decorated with pink lights, ornaments and ribbons and a pink stocking with my name on it. Also, Seth had organized a lunch get together where I was able to meet with and chat with such dear friends. A huge surprise was an enormously generous check, a gift from fellow co-workers, which included folks from 3 continents, 4 Navitaire offices, and even some customers. All these amazing things had me in tears, of course, and leads me once again to search for words to express my gratitude. Thanks seems so paltry in the midst of such genuine goodness and love. Over and over again the phrase "your strength is my strength" is what I feel. Any grace I may achieve is because you are giving it to me. Much love to you all. gf



8 comments:

Miriam Latour said...

Wow! You pull off the no-hair look so well. You actually look gorgeous with a care-free shaven head. Many kisses to you, Gretchie.

Anonymous said...

You look great, Gretchen! Really! I've thought about shaving my head too, but I'm too afraid of what I would look like! So please forgive my chicken-ness, but know that I love you and support you just as much as if I did shave my head! ;-)

Kiwimommy said...

You look spectacular, and your post was so touching, to boot.

Anna B. said...

Words cannot say enough Gretchen and the tears are welling because of the love I have for you and the strength you continue to demonstrate. You always have.

I cannot believe that your hair is gone although you look great. You are so blessed and I am so happy that you have such a good group of people to work with that are so supportive. I thank them from the East coast.

Much love,

Tara K said...

Love you Gretchie! You look beautiful as ever, and what a supportive and wonderful group of people you work with.

All our aloha-
Noa and Tara

Grandma Chris said...

Gretchen - you have such an amazing spirit and I love to read what you have written - you teach us all so much! You have inherited your mothers goodness and strength and I admire you both.

I do have one bit of advice for you about wearing a wig...Once I bought a lovely long blonde wig, and after trying it on in the store, I decided to wear it home. I felt quite gorgeous as I walked aroung the mall with my long flowing locks. Then I got in my car and felt something on my back - it was the instruction book and papers - So make sure to remove all paperwork before wearing!

I love you so much and wish I could give you a hug right now!

Grandma Chris

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say Merry Christmas. I hope you are feeling better. You are in our prayers all the time.

Alicia said...

I like the head! Forget the wig, do cool hats.