Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Better Week

I just wanted to put out a quick update on this week's progress...I understand now why they give you a week between treatments, as it is a wonderful opportunity to feel better for a little while. No doubt about it, last week was not one of my favorites, but I am encouraged by the increased level of energy and appetite that I have felt so far this week. I don't know if the chemo or the drugs I took to combat the chemo effects were worse...in any case, none if it tops the fun list. It has been a time of exploration and trying to understand what the new "normal" is all about. I am trying to find the healthy line between resting and activity, and where it is that makes the most sense and gives me direction and purpose without wearing me out. I have a sneaky suspicion that this line will continue to move as I progress with further treatment.

However, I have decided to return to work on the 15th, and take PTO days for the remaining treatment times. I have been very blessed to work with wonderful and understanding people who are willing to let me explore at my own pace and do what I can. I belive though, that being back in the "land of the working living" will add to my sense of purpose and be a positive change.

I am looking forward to a "get-out-of-sickville" trip to NYC this weekend with dear friend Aaron, where we will see Wicked, and take in the fun Christmas sights and sounds of the big city. I am gearing up physically and trying to build stamina for the trip.

In addition, on Monday night, the 15th, I will be hosting a little shave-my-head party. They say that hair starts to fall out in earnest after the second treatment, so I thought I would cut off the ponytail and send it to Locks of Love and let friends have fun shaving the remainder. Anyone who wishes is more than welcome to come on over...I guess we would get started around 6:30ish. If anyone wishes to participate in the "Brave Shave to Save" effort that my cousin, Miriam has already initiated, this could serve as an extension. You can see a fun video of the Dec 6th event. http://playersanonymous.org/main/fun/hairshave2.mov. She has organized these hair shaving/cutting events to raise money for cancer research, and I can send anyone more details if they are interested.

As always, I continue to feel your love and support and prayers and well wishes. I can't imagine facing this all without you...you are an amazing strength to me always, through the good and the bad. Much love to you all, gf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better! And that you're coming back to work! It will be great to see you again, and I definitely agree that it will help you to get back to something you know and enjoy doing. And the trip to New York sounds wonderful!!

As always, I'm amazed and encouraged and inspired by your attitude toward this battle. It's just the reminder I need of how I should be facing my own battles.

Can't wait to see you on the 15th!